FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Doug Hotle, Zoo Director
Date: March 15, 2022
Phone: (217)- 585-1821
SPRINGFIELD PARK DISTRICT TO CELEBRATE OPENING WEEKEND AT HENSON ROBINSON ZOO WITH “WHAT’S NEW AT THE ZOO FOR 2022!”
[Springfield, IL] – The Springfield Park District will celebrate the opening of Henson Robinson Zoo’s 2022 Season! Welcome back to a NEW and exciting season full of FUN, learning, and some amazing zoo animals!
The zoo’s opening weekend FUN starts on Saturday, April 2nd – save the date and plan to be there! This will be a great chance for guests to get outside, enjoy the Zoo’s park-like setting and help us kickoff the start of the Springfield Park District’s 2022 recreation programs, events and zoo season!
You are not going to want to miss…
• Opening day, we will introduce guests to some of our NEW animal friends who’ve arrived at the Zoo, like the addition of SIX NEW African Penguins, and our NEW, adorable wallabies!
• Special Keeper Chats and Animal Encounters will be on the schedule that day, along with some exciting and NEW Animal Ambassadors!
• A fun NEW look for the main lobby, admissions desk, and gift shop.
• Stop by the education room and check out plans for the NEW African and Asian Mammal Interpretive Area and Exhibit.
• Also, with the help of the UIS Extension Master Gardeners, the zoo will continue to celebrate the migration of the Eastern Monarch from Mexico by educating guests on these special butterflies, and how families can prepare their own yards as pollinator gardens.
Starting April 2nd, the zoo will be open daily from 10 am to 5 pm. Admission fees to enter the Henson
Robinson Zoo are: $7 for adults (13-61); $5 for children (3-12) and seniors ; As always, 2 & under get in FREE!
Don't forget to ask about Zoo Memberships – what a great way for your family to give back to the Zoo animals AND visit the Zoo all year long! Join the Zoo Hero Challenge movement and get your passes today!
Additionally, we host party rentals, classes, camps, field trips, and group pricing! And check out special features and updates on the website and social media at www.springfieldparks.org and@hensonrobinsonzoo.
Opening weekend event is rain or shine. Some animals may remain in winter holding if overnight temperatures have not maintained a certain temperature threshold. We will always keep you posted on the Zoo’s Facebook page for any up-to-the-minute update, or call if you have any questions at 217-585-1821.
The district is excited to host the event, but it would not be possible without the generous support of the community, partners, and sponsors.
For more information on this topic and any other Park District news related items, please visit our website at www.springfieldparks.org