The Springfield Park District offers comprehensive internship opportunities in the following areas:
The Springfield Park District invites college students (undergraduate and graduate) to apply for a comprehensive internship opportunity with us. You’ll gain experience, network with professionals, and build your resume in our inviting, learning-focused program. Our professional staff will involve you in the daily operations and planning of your chosen area while developing your skills and abilities to prepare you for a career in a wide variety of disciplines.
At any given time, the following disciplines may be offering internship opportunities:
- Recreation (general or administration)
- Sports (youth, adult, or both)
- Special Events
- Human Resources
- Landscape Architecture
- Natural Areas
- Special Recreation
Only students seeking to do an internship for credit or graduation requirements from an accredited college or university will be considered.
Internship rights and responsibilities of the Park District and Student:
- The internship will include actual work for the area in one or more of the disciplines listed above, however it is for training and educational purposes only.
- The internship experience will benefit the intern.
- Your position as an intern will not displace any employee of the Park District and will you work under the close supervision of a member of the existing staff.
- The Park District will not gain an advance from the activities of your work, again the experience is for your education.
- You are eligible to apply for positions with the Park District, however, the internship experience does not entitle you to a position at the conclusion of your internship.
- Since this is an educational experience, you are not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship.
- Internships are part-time hours.
Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis.
Internship Period Deadlines
Fall: July 15
Spring: December 15
Summer: March 15
- Select an internship option. Make sure you will be able to get school credit for your choice.
- Click on the Contact Us form below and submit your request for an internship.
- We will contact you to set up an interview if you are a selected candidate.
- At the interview, you will be asked to discuss past experiences, future goals, areas of interest, and your desired outcomes from the internship. During this visit you will also meet the staff in your area of interest.
217-544-1751 ext. 1004
For direct questions on an area of parks and recreation you are interested in doing your internship, consult staff in these areas by sending them an inquiry email: